The Clockmakers’ Museum is now closed to public viewing while it moves from Guildhall to the Science Museum where it will re-open in the Summer of 2015. A new web-page is under construction; until then updates about the new “Time Gallery” in the Science Museum, including its opening date in 2015, will be posted as and when available.
Meanwhile, details of many items in the Clockmakers’ Museum Collection can still be viewed via the Bridgeman site and the guide-book to the Collection: “Clockmakers’ of London” by Sir George White can be purchased via the Company’s Shop.
Founded in 1813, it was originally a library of ancient manuscripts of the Company, but soon grew to include many printed books, often presented by their authors, or annotated by famous clock and watchmakers. The Clockmakers’ Library is now celebrated for its holding of rare clockmakers’ workbooks and related documents (such as Victor Kullberg’s records, and many 18th century holograph manuscripts by John Harrison).
The Clockmakers’ Museum is the oldest collection specifically of clocks and watches in the world, and considered to be one of the finest. It contains some 600 English and European watches, 30 clocks and 15 marine timekeepers, together with a number of rare horological portraits. The majority of items in the Collection range from c.1600 to c.1850. Perhaps the most important group within the Collection is the marine timekeepers, illustrating the importance of horology in the science of navigation, including the celebrated 5th marine timekeeper made by John Harrison and completed in 1770 … more >>