The Company’s first Master was named in the Royal Charter of 1631, but not sworn before the Lord Mayor until 12th October 1632.
Under the terms of the Charter, subsequent elections took place on or around the feast of St. Michael the Archangel (29th September).
During the 17th and early 18th centuries, the official calendar year ran from April to the end of March, so most Masters (elected in September, but not sworn until October), served 5-6 months in the year of their election and 6-7 months in the following year.
The calendar change of 1751 however, meant that Masters after that date served only 2 months in their year of election and 10 in the following year.
In 1816 a further change took place. William Robson was elected in September, but not installed until early January 1817. He served until the following January. From that date onwards, Masters have served the full year following their election.