The Clockmakers’ Company was established by Royal Charter granted by King Charles 1 in 1631. It ranks 61st in the order of precedence of the 110 City of London Livery Companies. It is the oldest surviving horological institution in the world, and its motto is Tempus Rerum Imperator, Latin for Time is the ruler of (all) things. See our History & Customs.
The Clockmakers’ Museum is the oldest, and is considered by many to be one of the finest collections of clocks, watches and sundials in the world. The Bridgeman Art Library have images of several items in the collection.
The Clockmakers’ Museum is now closed to public viewing in preparation for its move to the Science Museum and re-opening as part of the new Time Gallery in the Summer of 2015.
More information »
Most Freemen and Liverymen of the Clockmakers’ Company are still involved in horology, whether clock making, watch making, designing, buying, selling, collecting, repairing, restoring, conserving or using for scientific purposes. Becoming a Freeman involves making a declaration (taking an oath). Liverymen must first be granted their Freedom of the City. See our History and Customs.
Charitable, having a long history of cultural patronage primarily supporting clockmaker related good causes and in particular the education and training of clockmakers, and making awards for excellence in horology; the Company now also plays an important part in social life, networking, and charitable work in the City of London.
The Newgate Street Clock
The Newgate Street Clock was The Clockmakers’ 375th Anniversary Gift to The City of London.